We used to get these apple pie apples at Mountain Mikes, except they were actually large apples covered in white chocolate and then cinnamon and sugar. Mountain Mikes closed so I set out to try to replicate the flavor, but using a different vehicle to deliver the flavors.
This is what I came up with. It's also very good if you can find mini pastry shells. In this picture, I found chocolate phyllo shells, but generally I use just plain. Give it a try, tastes great and they are small, so you can eat as many or as few as you'd like !
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter and add the apples, and sauté until they start to soften, about 5 mins.
- Add the vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon and continue to cook until the brown sugar melts and apples continue to soften.
- Let cool.
- In a microwave, melt the white chocolate in a bowl - about 45 seconds.
- Lightly coat the inside of the shells with the white chocolate and return to the freezer to set, about 15 mins - shown below.
- Top the shells with the apple mixture and place in the refrigerator to set. I use the same carton that the shells come in.